Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools (RQF)
The TQUK Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools provides learners with the opportunity to develop skills, knowledge and understanding to enable them work in the following roles; teaching assistant, classroom assistant, learning support assistant, additional needs assistant, pastoral/welfare support assistant, bilingual support assistant or foundation stage assistant. The roles must be under the direction of the class teacher, whose lesson planning and day-to-day direction set the framework within which the individual works.
There are no specific entry requirements however learners should have a minimum of level two in literacy and numeracy or equivalent. Learners are required to be actively working or volunteering in a school environment in order to demonstrate competence in knowledge and skills.
There may be a requirement, by their employer, for learners to be checked by the Disclosure and Barring Service: https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview or if they intend to work
with learners who are covered by these regulations (formerly Criminal Records Bureau (CRB)). It is the learner’s responsibility to seek advice from their employer regarding this.
The qualification is suitable for learners of 16 years of age and above.
This qualification is based around the following units:
- Equality, diversity and inclusion in work with children and young people.
- Maintain and support professional relationships with children and young people.
- Communication and professional relationship with children, young people and adults
- Child and young person development
- Safeguarding the welfare of children and young people
- Support children and young people’s positive behaviour
- Support children and young people’s health and safety
- Supporting learning activities
- Help improve own and team practice in schools
- Schools as organisations
- Prepare and maintain learning environments.